RMI is seeking a Media Relations Manager (equivalent to Account Manager or Senior Account Manager at many public relations and marketing agencies) with 5-8 years of experience in the media and communications field. This hire will be a full-time member of a 14-person Marketing and Communications team, working with individual program marketers on the creation and execution of programmatic communications campaigns. Responsibilities include: leading on all media relations for the institute, managing a third-party agency, managing a full time hire - Media Relations Specialist, pitching news stories to the press, developing and rolling out media strategies and campaigns, coordinating interviews, messaging briefs and recaps, monitoring media; responding to media inquiries; building and maintaining relationships with journalists.
This position will report to the Director of Public Relations.
- Design and execute the organization-wide communications strategy and goals
- Manage a full time hire - Media Relations Specialist (Assistant Account Executive level)
- Manage an external PR agency team and other vendors in delivering on the strategy
- Design and execute PR strategies and campaigns for all programs and organization announcements in partnership with team program marketers (who are responsible for overall program communications)
- Set up meetings/interviews, capture action items, update status reports
- Craft nuanced pitches for key media at the optimal level of detail
- Monitor social and traditional media and stay ahead of news events and media trends/conversations in key RMI industries
- Identify proactive opportunities for media engagement across RMI
- Draft and coordinate production and dissemination of press releases, media alerts, Op-Eds and social media content
- Support reactive media requests for organizational information, commentary/interviews, spokespeople, and event participation
- Use analytics to measure and report on progress on strategy
- Provide media recaps for every PR campaign
- Work with in-house editorial, design, and digital / social media services to execute PR campaigns
- 5-8 years' of experience in media relations, either from the client or agency side
- Highly professional and organized
- Creative, meticulous attention to detail, and ability to multitask
- Excellent communication and writing skills (AP Style knowledge preferred)
- Ability to turn around high-quality work on tight deadlines under pressure
- Familiarity with the following technologies and programs:
- Cision, PRNewswire, Sprout Social or equivalents
- Microsoft (Outlook, Share Point, Teams, PowerPoint, Word and Xcel)
- Knowledge of and interest in energy, finance, industry, international development, climate change and global sustainability issues
- Positive, highly motivated, and flexible with changing deadlines and workloads
- Ability to work with multiple teams on multiple projects and deliver against wider organizational goals
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations
This position can remain remote through the COVID-19 pandemic. Once the COVID-19 situation improves, we will remain flexible on location-with a preference that the successful candidate would live near one of RMI's U.S. locations; New York, NY; Washington, DC; Boulder, CO; Basalt, CO; or Oakland, CA.
- The salary range for thispositionis $76,500-$103,500, with the target being between $76,500-$90,000. This is dependent on experience that will be discussed and vetted throughout the interview process. Additionally, this role has a 10% bonus target.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- 403b retirement options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, short-term and long-term disability
- Professional and personal development (including LinkedIn Learning access)
- Generous paid time off
- Parental leave
- Commuter and wellness benefits
- Casual work environment
Increasing the diversity of thought, perspectives,ideasand opinions within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We strive for a level of diversity that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this-regardless of ability, race, ethnicity, ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic class, educationalattainmentor other social identities-is critical to the success of eachRMIerand collectively as an organization. This ensures that we:
- Have the different array of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world's greatest challenges.
- Strive for a culture of inclusion and belonging by treating others with dignity, respect and appreciation enabling them to feel welcomed,supportedand valued.
- Effectively connect,communicateand build long-lasting relationships with decision makers, stakeholders and constituents within diverse communities.
RMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
RMI is an independent nonprofit founded in 1982 that transforms global energy systems through market-driven solutions to align with a 1.5C future and secure a clean, prosperous, zero-carbon future for all. We work in the world's most critical geographies and engage businesses, policymakers, communities, and NGOs to identify and scale energy system interventions that will cut greenhouse gas emissions at least 50 percent by 2030. RMI has offices in Basalt and Boulder, Colorado; New York City; Oakland, California; Washington, D.C.; and Beijing.
JOB CODE: 1000373