As one of the nation's premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
We are currently seeking a full-time Maintenance Tech for our Johnson City office to support the Western New York Region. Primary properties are Johnson City, Endicott, Corning and W. Henrietta as needed.
The position is entry-level requiring 1 year of experience. Starting rate is $18/hour plus benefits. The benefits package includes: medical, dental, vision, 401K with 4% matching, 12 weeks of Paid Family Leave and 9 days of vacation in the first year (15 in the second year).
Will require on-call responsibilities.
Under close supervision, the Maintenance Tech perform repairs and maintenance in plant or office facilities, or on machines and equipment. The Maintenance Tech typically performs work in one or more of the maintenance trades: carpentry, plumbing, painting, machine and equipment repair, electrical, sheet metal fabrication, and welding. Conduct routine, periodic, or special inspections to determine repair and maintenance work necessary to prevent breakdowns of facilities, machinery, and equipment. Use hand and power tools to test, inspect, troubleshoot, and repair machines and equipment. Use blueprints, sketches, layouts, wiring diagrams, drawings, and specifications. Provide support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
1. Maintain and repair organization's facilities and properties involving routine tasks and responsibilities. Paint structures and equipment as needed. Install and correct minor electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and structural problems. Document installation and repairs as required by regulatory agencies. Operate and service boilers, chillers, motors, fans, pumps and related mechanical equipment. Repair appliances and equipment.
2. May move and store furniture and equipment.
3. Estimate time and material costs of various projects. Requisition new supplies and equipment.
4. May plant and tend flowerbeds. Prune shrubs and trees to enhance growth and appearance. May water lawns, shrubs and flowerbeds. May spray trees, lawns, shrubs and flower beds with fertilizer and insecticides. May rake and remove fallen leaves. May sweep external walkways and staircases. May remove snow using power removal equipment or shovel. Apply snow-melting chemical when necessary on company roads, walkways and outside staircases. May keep drainage ditches and culverts free of obstructions.
5. May drive vehicle to other locations.
6. Perform all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
Education: High School or equivalent required.
Experience: 1 year of related experience preferred. Related experience includes skill and knowledge of painting, HVAC, carpentry, plumbing, masonry and electrical work.
Skills & Abilities: Must have basic writing and communication skills. May be required to have basic computer skills. May have on-call duties. Ability to work on a team.
Travel: Will drive vehicle to other locations. Requires a valid driver's license and clean DMV record.
Physical Requirements: Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. Regularly lift and/or move objects 10-50 lbs. frequently; lift and/or move objects that weigh more than 100 lbs. with assistance or the use of a powered industrial truck. Frequently required to push carts weighing up to 250 pounds on flat flooring or ramps. Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Occasionally required to sit and climb or balance. Specific vision abilities required for this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust and focus. Able to move/lift up to 50 lbs. unassisted. Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools and work with a variety of chemicals and solvents. Position may require climbing of ladders for top-level selection. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
IND123Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life's emergencies don't stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights